Hi Bike Workers and Friends,
A guest post from Rick Heiser, West Side Revitalization Project.
Well it’s time to gear up the bike fix-up machine to get ready for this year’s WIBO event.
The big news is that this year we have changed the location of our work and bike giveaway. We are now working out of the Creativity Center, 107 E Chestnut St. Enter through the door on the south side of the building and follow the signs. Our work space is on the first floor.
First work date is Tuesday, February 9th, from 6:00 to 8:00PM.
We will hold the bike giveaway event on Saturday, April 23th. We need lots of volunteers that day.
- At this time we have about 200 bikes at the work site and a separate work area with better lighting and parts access. I believe this will prove to be a more convenient space to work. We have both heat and bathroom access.
- As you can imagine there is lots to do in the next 3 months but it is possible. Many of the bikes need only minor adjustments and repair.
- Bring tools for the bike work and other things that you may need. We have more new parts this year (cables, reflectors, shifters, handle grips & brake pads) and tubes for the bikes. We have 4 bike stands to share also.
- Feel free to share this information with others – we want to expand the circle of folks working on this project. Some of the tasks are technical but there are always less technical tasks; such as cleaning the bikes to make them look almost as good as new. This is a time to hone our skills and share knowledge with each other.
- NOTE: We also have folks doing some very needed preparation to improve the the logistics of the system for the giveaway event in April.
Work schedule for February, March and April:
The first bike work day is Tuesday, February 9th, 6:00 to 8:00PM.
- Tuesdays – 6:00pm – 8:00pm
- 2/9, 2/16, 2/23, 3/1, 3/8, 3/15, 3/22, 3/29, 4/5, 4/12, 4/19
- Wednesday – 6:00pm – 8:00pm
- 2/10, 2/24, 3/2, 3/9, 3/16, 3/23, 3/30, 4/6, 4/13, 4/20
- Thursday – 6:00pm – 8:00pm
- 2/18, 2/25, 3/3, 3/10, 3/17, 3/24, 3/31, 4/7, 4/14, 4/21
- Saturday – 9:00am – 1:00pm
- 2/13, 2/20, 2/27, 3/5, 3/12, 3/19, 3/26, 4/2, 4/16
*No bike work on April 9th; we will be at the Illinois Sustainable Living and Wellness Expo at IWU that day.
Come when your schedule allows. This is a learner friendly project to benefit the whole community.
Thanks and hope to see you soon,